Roof Problems

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mike2010

i bought a new mobile home around a year ago and after the home was delivered and set we noticed every where there is a crossways load bearing wall there seams to be high spots in my roof does anyone have any ideas what could be the problem?
joedirt63

does your m/h have flat ceilings in the rooms at both ends of the house and a cathedral type ceiling in the center rooms, like the liveingroom and kitchen? that's how mine is and i've noticed the simaler thing, i'm thinking that is 2 diffrent types of support systems for the roof.going on, i know that the outside walls carry the roof wieght ,but the load bearing walls also help spread out the roof wieght, sorry for the bad spelling. can't spell it but i can fix it :wink:
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
mike2010

No my mobile home has cathedral style all the way thru the home
JD
Site Admin

Being only about a year old, I would contact the manufacturer and ask them. Even if the home is out of warranty, they should be able to tell you what is going on.

The problems I have seen like this were on older homes (10-20 year old homes) and the damage was caused over a long period of time. These homes I worked on used 2x6s for rafters, and had no way to vent out moisture. The moisture would collect at the top of the roof slope against the marriage beam and eventually rot the connection of the rafter to the marriage beam.The newer homes I have seen all corrected this design with 10" ladder trusses, allowing air to pass through the roof and allowing for the additional insulation needed today.

I don't know what is causing the cross walls to stand taller than the rafters, but I would be concerned about it on a home that new.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.