no sheathing????????

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

joedirt63

hello guys, i finally got started on the painting of my house , beher paint makes a exterior paint with primer, for vynle sideng and aluminum, wood ect, got 2 sides done and it seems to be holding fairly well ,does require two coats. it's a 94 astro, 2 bd rm.14x56 single. when i got to the rear end of the house i found ,to my suprise that there wasn't any sheathing behind my sideing in the gable area of the wall. the section from the 7 feet horizontal to the peak was all open with just the vinle sideing,keeping out the elements. i could see straight thruogh to the oposite inside wall ,all the blown insulation ,wireing and roof jack and bath vent. from the 7 ft to the floor is all sheathed, did someone forget something in construction? or is this how theywhere built? or what ? any clues. i'm going to check the front section and close it off too. but i will be installing a gable vents. we've got the only green house in the park behr color aloe thorn, sideng and pale honey for the trim. next week i'm finishing the reroof got about 1 square left to finish, it's tan or light brown . try to get some pics, it's hard been going back and forth to my kids house too, yeah i'm working on 2 houses at once kind of.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

It may or may not be the way it was supposed to be built. Personally I would open it up and add sheathing & house wrap. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
joedirt63

thinking the same thing. would explain why the rooms are so cold in the winter,and the mold issue i had in the closet , they used the outside wall for the walk in closet. since it has the fiber board as sheathing should i stay with that or use something else?
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Groo

Thats the way mine is. That is why I am planning on taking down the vinyl and putting up T111 plywood siding.

I am also planning on replacing the batting as the current stuff has not done well with only cracked vinyl to protect it
joedirt63

well i feel little better, when i saw that i said to my self what the!@#$%^&* where htey thinking? that t111 ply wood sounds like good idea but, i'm wondering about the weight factor, those rafters under my roof look more like spares on a air plane wing about as thick too.may i can talk her into do ing the front and the back and leave the sides alone
Greg

It you are just doing the ends, you should be OK. Don't forget you have the frame rails for support. You can add perimeter blocking on the sides if needed. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."