Ignition Issue Coleman Furnace with White-Rodgers Conversion

Questions about repairs and parts for Coleman furnaces, air conditioners and heat pumps for manufactured homes. Click here for Coleman parts.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Frank55

Robert, et al,

Winter's coming (feels like it's here):

Last year I started a thread about my pilot not lighting on my Coleman furnace model # 8631-776. I've since got it working (last year) by adjusting the "flame sensor" & igniter." However, in thinking that this year I would either replace one and or the other, in calling your number to check price on parts etc., I discovered that I have a "conversion kit installed," which is a White-Rodgers, model # Model 36C84 type 412, which uses a compatible (WR) mercury sensor.

In fiddling with it last year, I noticed that the "spark" was going from the "electrode" (igniter) to the "probe" (for lack of a better description) of the flame sensor in the pilot area; I could see where the spark was "landing," (near the tip of the probe) which was extremely dirty etc., (producing a weak spark); in moving it slightly, the spark now lands on a "cleaner spot" and everything functions properly (well maybe not properly, but it works).

In attempting to "identify" the proper part, and learning more the flame sensor et al, I'm now wondering if the spark is supposed to "jump over to the flame sensor" thus igniting the pilot; or is it supposed to "spark against the housing of the pilot burner burner itself, or elsewhere.

Finding out how expensive the flame sensor was/is has precipitated my decision to attempt to "clean it" with steel wool first. However, afterwards, in putting it back together, I want to make sure that the spark/igniter action is functionally the way it's supposed to--so where is the spark supposed to jump to for proper pilot ignition?

As Always . . .

Much Thanks,
Frank
Frank55

Robert et al,

After my post yesterday, I pulled the ignition assembly, i.e., flame sensor, ignitor, pilot light housing etc., in order to clean everything. Being able to look at everything "up close," I'm assuming that spark the ignitor (electrode) jumps to the "housing of the pilot light"--please clarify.

Thanks,
Frank
Robert

Hi Frank,

Your furnace parts list doesn't show any iginitor, spark or otherwise, so unsure what you have or if it is an add on part.

That said, it would have to spark over to vicinity (close) of pilot burner to ignite the pilot gas coming out of pilot burner orifice.

Then the flame sensor is in close proximity of burner to detect a burner flame when it is ignited.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Frank55

Mornin' Robert,
Robert wrote:Hi Frank,

Your furnace parts list doesn't show any iginitor, spark or otherwise, so unsure what you have or if it is an add on part.

That said, it would have to spark over to vicinity (close) of pilot burner to ignite the pilot gas coming out of pilot burner orifice.

Then the flame sensor is in close proximity of burner to detect a burner flame when it is ignited.

Thanks,
Robert
The electronic ignition system was added on later and as mentioned above (which I wasn't aware of until recently) is a White-Rodgers.

Thanks (as usual)! Am reassembling everything today, will post back later for the benefit of other forumerions with similar problems.

Cheers,
Frank
Robert

Hi Frank,

Sounds good and you're very welcome.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?