installing new window

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

June

I have ordered one new "real" double hung window! If the diy install goes ok, then I'll order one each month (not to break the bank) until I have all five new ones. New kitchen cabinets made a monstrous difference in my house, and I expect new windows will be even better. I've looked at the repair manual, and think I have a good handle on the install procedure, (I've put new windows in stick house) but still wondering about getting that old caulk off when i remove the old window. Will that be a problem? I want to be prepared ahead of time for the eventualities, because we are having so much rain this spring I can't have an open hole for long.
JD
Site Admin

Hi June,

I usually find that old gray window putty tape behind the windows nail flange. It is usually the silicone, polyurethane and painter's caulk put around the window that is harder to get off. I use a chisel, sharpened up real good. You want to be careful with it because it can dig into the siding. Are these aluminum frame or vinyl windows? Are they new construction windows or replacement (retrofit) windows?

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

June, A razor knife does a good job of freeing the window from the siding, once the window is out of the way you have more room to work with a scraper or chisel to get the remaining caulk off. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
June

I think it is called replacement. It will have a flange to screw on just like the one I have, but there will be a J track into which I'll place some trim. They are Atrium brand, ordered by my local hardware store. They are just a bit more expensive than Lowes or Home Depot, but I don't have to drive 60 miles round trip to get them, and I like supporting my local small business.

Thanks for the suggestions about caulk. I don't see anything oozing out but the original putty type stuff. I'm assuming I'll use that kind that comes in a roll with peal off backing, unless you all tell me there is a better way.

June
JD
Site Admin

Hi June,

This type of window should make it easier for you. The nail/screw flange should be quite a bit wider than the alumninum frame and will cover the area of the old sealant. If you only see old putty tape squished out from behind the aluminum frame, it should be very easy to get off. It is usually dried up and comes off in big chunks with little effort.

I seal all vinyl windows with DAP DynaFlex 230, which is a tube caulking that you can get from Home Depot or other home stores. My local Lowe's does not carry it. The vinyl flange can tend to bow a bit when you fasten it down. The putty tape may not seal completely. Run two complete non-stop beads around the flange and then wipe off the excess that oozes out. Really a pretty easy install, provided you ordered the windows in the right size.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
June

Ok! I'll get the caulk while I wait for the window to come. I can't wait.
June