Attic Moisture/Roof vents

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

HNSHKR

I have a 1995 Fairmont that has developed mold/mildew spots on the ceiling of the unit corners, two more prominent than the others. We discovered only one real reason (cut from a fallen limb) for moisture to collect on the ceiling. Another area had water collected in the vapor barrier when we removed the drywall. We did some temporary repair with an asphalt sealant, but plan on a full coating of an elastomeric sealant in spring. Is there some secret in the construction of these units that I'm missing?

I see that this attic is not vented, that I could see, and have noticed a lack roof vents on mobile homes in general. Since I am worried about moisture accumulation, would it be acceptable to add vents to the roof or end peak?

Thanks you for your help....Northern WI
1987Commodore

I have a peaked roof with shingles on my singlewide. There are vents in the peaks at both ends, and also roof vents. The center portion of the home has a "cathedral' ceiling, there are roof vents in that area as well.
JD
Site Admin

I would highly recommend using something other than an asphalt based sealant for your temp patch. Standard elastomerics such as acrylics, rubber and variations of are not compatible with asphalt. Asphalt sealants less than a few years old will tend to eat the elastomeric sealants within a couple of months. Asphalt sealants will "gas off" until it pretty much dries up. This gassing off deteriorates the white elastomeric.

Being way up north, I would recommend something like Geocel Instant Roof Repair, which will set even in damp icy environments.

http://www.geocelusa.com/php/retail/pro ... duct_id=22
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
HNSHKR

Thank you for your replies. While things are fairly well shut down for the season in Vilas County, WI for the winter, we will tackle the project in spring. Will have to find a way to seal the asphalt material from any permanent repair.....HNSHKR