Questions-mold & moisture barriers

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

INEEDHELP2

Hi, I'm new to this so I have a few questions.

What is a moisture barrier and what does it do exactly?
What kind of plastic can/do I use?

Theres mold in my kitchen underneath the sink. someone told me that if I sweep it off and paint where it was, there will be no problems. It's me and my daughter so I don't know what to do and I don't have the money to pay someone to do it.
If this is not the way to get rid of it, what can I do? I don't have money to buy sheetrock like I did for the rest of the house that had mold.
Greg

Moisture barrier can be as simple as a sheet of plastic, usually at least 6 mil rolled on the ground under the home or as much as a concrete pad poured under the home.

A sure sign of moisture problems are condensation on the windows. Mold could be a plumbing or exterior leak. We just ended up buying a dehumidifier we were running around 60% humidity, at this temp. it should be 30 -40 % after running it for a week the condensation is gone. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

Having mold under your kitchen sink means you have a water leak. The first thing you need to do is find and fix that leak. No water should be inside your cabinets.
You most likely have a leaking tap connection or the seal around the sink itself is allowing water underneath.
As far as the existing mold is concerned bleach will get rid of it. Mix up a 10% solution in a spray bottle and spray it on the mold.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)