roof sweating bad

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

moochy1

what can be done to stop roof sweat from destroying my sheet rock ceiling. this is an old trailer with remodling work done to the walls and ceiling
joedirt63

not and a pro, but sounds like and insulation problem or lack of. similar to the sweat around windows,poorly insulated or those nasty single pane storm windows.i you can look in the rafters to see if any insulation is there. jd or greg could probably have more info.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
Greg

Hi & welcome. If I had to guess I would say lack of insulation and/or lack of ventilation If it is a condensation problem. Have you taken a close look at the roof to make sure it is not a leak? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
moochy1

the roof dont leak this only happens when it is cold outside and it starts to warm up it was insulated with 2 inch thick styrofoam with no plastic in the roof
Greg

Most 2" styrofoam is around a R10, Depending on your location that may not be enough is that is all you have for insulation. Plus rigid foam is hard to make air tight around the edges and at the joints. That alone may be a large factor, If you have no ventilation that could factor in also. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
moochy1

i am in va where it has extreme temp variations. i have 2 whirlybirds on the roof. the styrofoam and sheetrock is all that are in the ceiling. do mobil homes need the plastic barrier between the insulation and ceiling tiles
bobfather99

Anywhere you have hot air meeting cold air, you have moisture. A good moisture barrier is a must. Is your bath exhaust fan is ventilating outside?? Any air gaps in it??
Tip your bartender.....