insulating crawl space skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

alisoncat

Hi,

I'm hesitating on the issue of insulating the crawl space on a 1989 double wide Fleetwood. I've read the "better skirting idea" article and I like the idea of insulating. I've read quite a bit on the 'net about insulating crawl spaces and most sources recommend an unvented crawl space. One in particular, http://www.dirt-crawl-spaces.com/crawls ... nting.html , indicates that venting causes more condensation and makes moisture issues worse. I'm wondering how much benefit there is to insulating a vented space and whether blowing insulation into the space under the floor would be more effective? Any input very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Alison
Greg

Alison, I think the bottom line is that no matter what you do You may have problems under your home. There are things you and do to reduce the odds, but that's all it will be is a reduction.

The first and not practical for most of us to change is a FULL concrete pad under the home. If you are in a Park, you are at the mercy of the park on that one. Rain water can run under your Home and add to the problem.

Ventilation is a double edge sword, In the cold months you cooling the air under your home, adding to your heating bills inside the home.

I personally feel that closing the skirting up in cold weather and ventilating in warm weather is about the best you can do short of installing a dehumidifier under your home, but then you open another potential for problems by having an unattended appliance under the home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."