Approx cost of a vinyl siding job

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

butch

hello ladies and gentlemen -its been awhile since I've posted a message , in fact , I had to create a new username to sign up for the new style boards -I was formerly known as bubbles

its been 1 year since we've moved into the 1985 SW general home 14X68 and we've chipped away at some simple inexpensive improvements (total interior paint job , new hot water tank,some ceiling fans and new flooring in bathroom/hallway , 4 ft fence to divide properties etc..

I have a co-worker who does handyman work on the side and he's gotten quite the repuation as doing extremly good work for half the price of a regular general contractor .I mentioned to him the other day that I'd love to put vinyl siding (Indian Red color /white trim)and he dropped by to take a look / measure etc..

He gave me a ballpark estimate of around 6/8 hundred dollars for the materials which would include the siding,1 inch insulation foam,g-trim,strapping etc...

does this sound about right for a price for materials ?

the labor charge is irrelavant but he did mention around 600 for labor

so for around 1500-1600 I can get my 14-68 SW home done -seems a bit too good to be true ?

one other question

I've seen some people in the trailor park have the new siding put right on top of the old aluminum siding (foam insulation on top of aluminum siding , then strapping then siding)

Is this ok to do ? My friend who offered to do the job says ''no way'' --and that the aluminum siding must come off to do a proper job

we just bought a digital camera so I will be excited to take pics and show the progress of the job to ya'll

thanks in advance for any responses
Brenda (OH)

remember... aluminum metal has a high recycle price right now, and you need to decide who is going to get to do the recycling, so no misunderstandings, and you will need to secure the material as it comes off the home, or "strangers" will take it away for you in the middle of the night....BB
JD
Site Admin

Just using the prices I would have to pay for vinyl siding, it seems that your friend may be light on the materials cost. A lot depends on how he plans to trim the vinyl, if he will internally flash all windows & doors, and if he will be using the vinyl siding accessories like light boxes, dryer vent box and electrical outlet pieces. Even things like the aluminum nails and foam board tape all can add up to a surprise in materials cost.

In my area, professionals might charge $5K to $6K for the same job. So he is giving you a great deal on the labor too. If you like this guy, be fair with him. It is easy for a non-pro to underestimate. You might want to go over the generic instructions below to be sure that you are planning proper flashing and installation techniques.

Installation manual, 40 page pdf file
http://www.vinylsiding.org/publications ... nglish.pdf

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
butch

thanks j.d & BB -I had no idea my old siding would have any vlaue -good to know

I agree with the 5-6 k estimate (for total pkg ) as well because last year before we moved in we had a repuatable siding co. come and do an estimate and it came in at roughly 5 k.

so , what would you say with regards to total materials cost on the generous side taking into consideration all the extra materials you mention

I should have also mentioned that my wife and I will be helping him when time permits us to .
Yanita

Hi,

Welcome back to the site.

A few years ago Hubby and I wanted to vinyl side our single wide. It also had aluminium siding, no sheathing underneath.

At the time my son did vinyl siding professionally so labor was going to be cheap...LOL, like paying off a debt to the folks. Anyways, he said the aluminium should come off for proper installation of the vinyl, and that sheathing was recommended.

Our home at the time was a 1997 Oakwood, had outriggers but we just did not want to go to the major expense. Also at that time I was not sure if the home could handle the additional weight of the sheathing. It was going to cost around 7,000.00.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
JD
Site Admin

Hi Butch,

Off the top of my head, vinyl siding, trim & accessories and 1/4" fan fold foam (1" panels would cost more) could run $1500, for the std base level siding. The siding Yanita has with the foam backing on the panels is more expensive. Also, there is a different thickness of siding required for high wind areas.

This would also not include the price of vinyl skirting. I don't recommend taking vinyl siding all the way down to the ground. As a home settles, it can cause problems with the siding. I also do not like framing between the rim joist and home for the same reason. I am sure it could be done in a way that would allow this movement, but you would have to be pretty creative in the way to make the vinyl siding "float".

Hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
butch

very,very,good .

thank you all for being so kind to respond

j.d -the mobile sits on a cement pad with brick skirting so the vinyl siding would only go to the rim joist.

1500 sounds about right