Condensation damage on bottom of interior paneling.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mikemaryland

My wife and I live in a 1976 Marlette on the eastern shore of Maryland. This winter I noticed mold growing on the bottom of interior paneling on a bump out facing east. Today I removed a 4 ' section of the paneling. The original fiberglass insulation was in good condition and filled the area tightly. I lifted the insulation to find condensation dripping down the inside of the exterior aluminum siding. It appears to drip and fall down to lower most wood member and then come in contact with the interior wood paneling. Its happening on a 12' section of exterior wall.

The wall was all original and never modified. This past summer I installed new energy efficient windows and doors in the entire home. How do I stop this condensation? Would a vapor barrier installed under the interior paneling solve this? We never had this problem before. I need help fast!

Thanks !
Greg

Hi & welcome. I believe that the ribs in the siding not only add strength but allow air flow behind the panel. Obviously something changed, now you just need to find what.

I don't see that the windows on their own would create a problem unless the installer changed something.

Perhaps others will have some ideas for you.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

Maybe the new windows/doors eliminated some air infiltration (drafts,) resulting in less air exchange. This could cause humidity to build up in the home. I would think a vapor barrier would be a good idea. Also use the bathroom vent fans, range hood, etc., as needed to reduce humidity.
mikemaryland

I thought the same thing. But during the winter the indoor humidity usually hangs aroung 16%. I have oil hot air heat which is very dry. It seems moisture penetrates the indoor wood paneling, then the 2 inches of insulation , then condenses on the inside of the exterior aluminum siding and runs down. But wouldnt every mobile home with aluminum siding have this same problem?