mice in the underfloor insulation

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

creekside

Hi, so I lifted one 4x8 sheet of chip board off the floor of the cheap addition and the think pink insulation was just scattered on the ground, full of mice poop and obvious living quarters....they also ate into the unacceptable thin plastic dryer ventilation tube they used as furnace duct work (no wonder it was cold). So if I get new insulation in place under a new floor, I believe I cannot put plastic up to keep the insulation from falling or for keeping the mice out as moisture build up would be a problem. I have to have insulation under the floor, so what is the best way to keep it up and keep the mice out.
Greg

You need a breathable material such as belly material (mark has the kits in the site store) or some have used Tyvec (house wrap).

Tight skirting is the key to keeping critters out. You can not have ANY holes to allow them in. I installed steel skirting last year. Everything is buried and the skirting is at least 6" deep in the ground. This winter I had NO critters in the house.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Typically it is the underbelly material that keeps the insulation up and in place. The poly stuff Mark sells in the online store is what I use. You can find what you need here http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/Order2.html#catalog The underbelly material is 16' wide and Mark sells it by the lineal foot, so you don't have to buy a whole box. The stuff looks like the blue poly tarps, only it is black and it is the right stuff to use for underbelly repairs. He sells Sta-Put Spray Adhesive too. Good stuff!
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
joedirt63

it's funny been in this place going on 4 years now and never had mice until this winter,since there's no floor ducts any more i unscrew the floor patch near where i heard those sucker chewing ang and put in couple of victore mouse traps, tied to a string for easy retreivle. every day for the last week all 3 traps have worked. checked uder the house for holes, just replaced skirting last fall. found they dug under the skirt rail(made a make shift foundation for rails with 4x4 treated around the house) and climbed up the water supply into the under belly just like climbing stairs. can of spray foam fixed that stairway , crawled on my back every inch of that tarp and sealed every thing i even though could be a hole.. check the water supply and power supply if it is under ground.
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me
jeffS

Guys, I live in Western NY and I have a 1993 single wide on a lake for summer use. I have a huge problem with animals under my trailer and in the floor insulation. They also got into the heat duct. I removed the entire black underbelly cover and all the insulation and the heat duct. All the stuff I found was awfull. Now what do I do? If I replace it like it was they will be back. I want to just put foam board up between the joists and a metal heat duct. I don't want the vermin to have any enclosed areas to hang out. If I do that will they try to get into the trailer? Ugg..... thanks, Jeff