heating coil in elec HW heater

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

devilonmyback

First posting. My hot water is not lasting very long in my 30 gal elec heater, decided to replace coil as starting point. Previous owner left old coil with unit as an example, took it to supply house and they sold me one that looks just like it except that original is copper and new one looks aluminium (or silver) in color. When I went to replace it, on top of the HW heater is a plate that says to replace only with copper coil. Will it cause a noticable difference or problem if I replace with the one they sold me, or do I have to take it back and make sure to get a copper one? The numbers on the new coil all match up with the old one as far as voltage/capacity/etc.

Thanks
Eric
NJ
Greg

The silver, possibly stainless are more resistant to lime & scale buildup. From what I can tell from other websites they are interchangeable with copper.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
devilonmyback

Thanks Greg, thats kind of the direction I was leaning, couldn't see how the supply house would sell me incorrect item when looking at the original, I brought them. I'll go ahead with the swap and hope for a nice hot shower in the future.
flcruising

What was the condition of the old element? Was it all intact?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]