roof leaking

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

bnrboy775

I am having a problem with my roof leaking in spots. It seems to be happening around the roof vents for the plumbing. I have a metal roof placed over shingles. The rubber around the pipes of worn and cracking, I have tried caulking it to try to fix it but it hasn't seemed to hold up. Any suggestions. I know I can replace the whole boot and flashing but can I do this without having to cut the metal.roof or remove panels of the roof. What do you all suggest?
Greg

What type of caulking are you using? You need a Butyl rubber sealer it will allow for some expansion with out cracking.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bnrboy775

I was using just regular silicone caulking. Would the dealer for duct work work for sealing the roof? I know it may not but that is what I have on hand currently and it would be easier if it would. Is there no way to just replace the rubber gasket on the pipe?
JD
Site Admin

If you can find the right boot that will work with your panels, that would be best. You would still have to seal it. You want to use the type of sealant that the boot manufacturer requires. Butyl is usually the way to go, but not always. There are many variations of rubber and pvc boot products and some are very particular of what sealants you use Using the wrong sealant can leach out plasticizors from the boot, drying it out. Also, you will probably need to remove the silicone, not just most of it, but all of it. Pull and scrape off what you can, then use silicone remover to get any traces of it off of the roof. Silicone is not a good sealant for roof jacks and more importantly, nothing will stick to the silicone when it is time to do more maintenance.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.