underbelly of mobile home

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Duracutter

I just got a 1976 mh. It smells like earth and mold and it all seems to be coming from the floor and the insulation. It was in the same spot for years with little ventilation under.

I plan on taking all the floor out and changing the insulation. What I don't get is why does it need a breathable barrier under? Many other homes without basements, cottages and for that matter recreational trailers dont have or need this breathable material... It seems that the critters would have a harder time coming in if there was a sheet of plywood there.

In any case what is the drawback of using plywood under and what can I do to avoid using this breathable net or loose material under...I don't like that idea at all.

Secondly, how many layers of plywood is good for the floor? I was thinking of 1 sheet of tongue and groove 3/4"? is that enough? then insulation and than vapor barrier right? then 1 more sheet of 1/2" osb...

Thanks for the answers.
Greg

Hi & welcome. The ability to breath is to allow any condensation or water from leaks to exit and air to enter. This will reduce the possibility of mold & reduce the possibility of rotting joists. If you are in a colder region you need the belly to "Hang" below the joists to allow for heat to radiate from the ducts keeping the pipes warm.

Topside, 3/4" plywood subfloor is plenty.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Duracutter

thanks greg, but today the county my acreage is in came in and told me single mobile homes are not permitted!!!!!!!! I just about fell over, and my head still can't wrap itself around how they would decide something like that. It's not like the county is snazzy or nice, it's in landlocked alberta with ponds for lakes all around. For gods sake they are arrogant around here... so I have to dismantle and salvage whatever I can, they gave me 2 weeks to take it apart or take it away.... I still can't believe it. I could never have guessed. I visited their website, but no mention of not accepting single wides so I got a used one. Lucky I did not put any materials into it. Now I'll salvage the metal, aluminum, furnace, hot water tank, fridge stove etc...

Hurray for the County of Parkland...
Greg

Many counties have zoned out single wides. You could try for a variance, depending on how remote the home is and your neighbors they may grant one. You may want to contact a Lawyer for advise also.

Greg
DCDiva

This is happening in many communities--that is why everyone should start with zoning laws before buying,where our 2 mh are located single wides are not allowed but double wides are--ours our grandfathered in but that involves us fixing them up vs replacing with new
DaveyB

Just to add fuel to the fire, in Arizona, a MH is not classed as a "property" but as a vehicle, and is issued with a vehicle title by AZDOT. Since it is "parked" on private property, no registration is required!

One solution to the problem may be that, instead of registering it as a single wide, register it as a new construction double-wide, and that the second half of the unit is not yet available. I have seen construction projects take 4-5 years to complete, which makes their "two weeks" totally unreasonable!

Another solution might be to have a welder go under the home and modify the chassis to represent two units, 8'x64' which when placed together is a doublewide! They want to play the terminology game, fine!!

Edit: Just realized that modifying the chassis for two units 16'x32' would also constitute a doublewide and require a lot less welding!

DaveyB playing devil's advocate! :mrgreen:
Last edited by DaveyB on Sun May 29, 2011 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝
JD
Site Admin

I would think that any state's DMV/DOT would use the classification on the current registration or title.

This stuff just irks me. Too much Govt control of private property. Sure there has to be some basic rules and building codes but telling someone what they are allowed to own is too much. It should be governed as 'what it takes to make what I own habitable. Restricting single wides, in my opinion, is an aspect of income prejudice.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Do I see a future run for Congress?

Greg
DaveyB

JD for Prez!!! :D
╔═╗
║T║HINK
╚═╝