Leaky garden tub knobs.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

katfishgr

I have a garden tub in my mobile home. It's a 96 model Belmont. It sits in the corner where two outside walls join.

The problem started out as this ... you would turn on the cold water and water would leak out from under the hot water knob onto the tub surface. The hot water knob leaks by itself when turned on and seems to wiggle a bit as well. The tub filler is a Phoenix model.

Problem is ... how to access it???? I see there is a phillips head screw holding the knob in place, however, I have not bothered with it.

The tub/shower plumbing in the guest bathroom is accessible through the wall in the guest bedroom. The shower stall in the master bathroom has an access panel for the plumbing as well. But .... no access panels outside or inside for the plumbing on the garden tub.

I have yet to crawl under the house to look up from underneath it and see if it is accessible. But I would imagine its sealed off by the flooring. I haven't used the tub in years for this reason. And now that I am selling the place, I would like to fix it.

Anyone else had this problem?? And if so, what's the easiest way to access the filler to replace it???

Thanks,
Chuck
katfishgr

Ok, so after a little digging online ... looks like I just need to pick up a couple of stems and replace those.

Trick still is, how to access it?? Considered cutting a hole on the side of the tub, behind the faucet to work through ... then just making a panel to fit over it when done.

But I'll wait a bit to see if anyone here has any other suggestion.
1987Commodore

You sure there is not a removable panel on the tub itself? There had to be some way for the plumbing connections to be made when the home was built.
Greg

Outside wall corner? You may end up coming in from the outside. If it is metal siding it may be easier than you think, remove a half million screws and you should be able to get to it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."