earthquake brace as primary foundation?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dvdohara

Hello
I'm new to the forum, and a first time MH buyer.
I'm in pending status to buy a 1979 2032 sq. ft. home. A H&S inspector, and subsequently two contractors have told me that the foundation is up to (varying estimates) 75% in need of repair. One contractor suggested replacing about 40% of the piers, etc., while the other recommended a total replacement. Both contractors came within ~$1k on their estimates.
Went back to the seller with this information to discuss possible Section 1 issues. He went ballistic, claims he called several contractors/inspectors (but has not provided any written reports, etc. from them) who have assured him that the earthquake brace under the home counts as its primary foundation, and the piers, etc. are secondary (and not too many need replacing). thus he argues this isn't a Section 1 issue, as not that many piers etc. need replacement.

The company that placed the EQ brace is no longer in business, so I can't discuss his claims with them. In this process, he has managed to upset other contractors who won't touch the place now.

Does anyone have any resources, advice etc. to point me towards so I can decide if this is on the level (no pun intended).

Cheers, David O
Greg

If you have already bought the home, and have to do foundation work I would go with the inspectors recommendations (it makes it easier when you work WITH them). I would also do a full cement pad as well, it makes it much easier to do any work under it as well as a lot dryer.

The seller may or may not be willing to help I'm not sure are far as any legal issues go who would be responsible.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
dvdohara

Thank you, Greg

Thankfully we are still in the inspection/estimation process right now. The seller maintains the foundation is fine and does not need work other than customary pier replacement, claiming that the earthquake brace is its primary foundation, and the piers, etc. that need replacing are secondary supports. That's my question--is what he's saying correct? So far he's not produced any written data from his contractors (and has forbidden us to get any more inspections, estimations etc. on the property, which I'm wondering is legal for an as-is sale to begin with). So far the H&S inspection has said the foundation (not the EQ brace )is 75% deteriorated and needs replacement/repair.
Thank you
1987Commodore

Welll-- just a feeling here that the owner may know a little less about the situation than the pro's you have had inspecting it. Then, forbidding further inspections just seems like the owner may not be totally above board. I think that if you have had three expert opinions in the matter, all agreeing that some degree of replacement is necessary, I'd tend to believe them. The seller's attitude just makes me want to tell you to walk away. I get the feeling there may be more problems with the place than meet the eye.
Unless the seller is a structural engineer, with the degrees to show you, I'd be really cautious about the deal. Even then, he's got a vested interest in unloading the place.
flcruising

dvdohara wrote:Hello
claims...that the earthquake brace under the home counts as its primary foundation, and the piers, etc. are secondary (and not too many need replacing).
I don't know if I'm understanding this completely, and I don't know what 'Section 1' is all about, but bracing is NOT a 'primary' foundation. It is in place to resist lateral (sideways) force or ground movement in your case. The support system are the piers and footings (if present) only.

In Florida we have wind bracing that is essentially a base plate on the ground with diagonal tube steel and strapping attached to the I-beam frame. There is no weight that is placed onto this bracing as it is only there to resist lateral movement.

Go with the inspectors and disregard the owner. Unless you are paying cash, the lender won't even consider his opinion and you shouldn't either.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
dvdohara

Thank you for your responses. Aaron, in California, Section 1 deals with health and safety repairs the mh owner/seller is responsible for completing . The seller in my situation is trying to argue that the foundation repair cost (to replace piers and pads) is not his responsibility because the amount to be replaced (which we are in dispute) is minimal; and because it is minimal, it does not constitute a health and safety issue because the earthquake brace is the primary foundation for the house.

I'm not a structural engineer either; but I've doubted from the start that 'brace'= 'foundation'.... I thought the EQ brace needs to be bolted/strapped to the foundation. And now I can't get a structural engineer to the property now because the owner forbids anyone coming onto his property without approval, which looks suspicious.
Greg

I think I would either walk away or make an offer price low enough to give you the money to do the recommended repair/upgrade.

Just a thought, is it possible that new codes have gone into effect since the home was set?

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I think this may be a deal where everyone may be at least a little correct. It also seems that all selling parties may be leaning toward their own twist on things. In most of California, concrete foundation footers are not required as they are in most of the country. Some, not all, Seismic / Permanent Foundation require no common piers, though they are usually left in place when the system is installed. Whether you have this type of system or not would require looking up the system in question. There should be plans for your install where ever they keep county records. The type of system and the plan numbers should be on the seismic piers. There has been changes to "tie-down" requirements in recent years that may also be a factor as to whether your system needs upgrading or not.

But I go along with the general consensus here. Go with the inspectors and not the seller. Or maybe have the seller guarantee that the existing foundation will pass state or county inspection. MH park inspections are done by the state, private property is usually the county but can be the city if that is the way your area is set up

I would recommend calling Andy at Central Piers, 284 North Thorne Avenue Fresno, CA (559) 268-0828. He can tell you what options are available for you now and may have info on your existing system. Central Piers has been manufacturing piers and foundation systems for over 40 years that I know of.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.