slab and pier foundation in wet areas

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cnyguy

i live in an area near a lake which has a high water table. spring rains always results in a wet crawlspace, it takes quite a while to dry out down there. i'm concerned about the blocks being in water so much. should i consider adding mechanical piers on pads next to the cinder block ones. this is a standard slab/pier installation in the northeast. thank you
Greg

Hi & welcome. Any extra support is is always a good thing. My concern would be moisture causing a problem with rot in the joists. Make sure you have at least minimal ventilation of 1sq ft/150sq ft of floor space. I would almost consider screening in one end and using a fan to force air.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
cnyguy

hi greg:
you live in weedsport, i live in lakeport,on oneida lake. extra crawlspace vents were added in the original installation, due to my concerns. the whole underside has a plastic membrane. my concern is the blocks dont sit on pads, and the bottom of them are in water sometimes.i've lived here five years, this was a new installation on a piece of property, and the doublewide has settled a bit. the concrete pad eventually dries out in warmer weather,i'm just wondering if you think its a good idea to place mechanical piers on pads next to the cinder block ones.
thanx for your time
Greg

I figured you were near Oneida lake somewhere. Do you have a full pad that was poured before home was set? If so are the blocks set on the pad? Mechanical piers can't hurt, but you could add more block piers that would have the same results for less money. If you are going to add some you may want to relevel also.

Greg
cnyguy

Hi Greg:
Yes, I have a full poured concrete pad on which the blocks sit, however they don't sit on ABS pads,as I have seen in some installations. As far as relevelling goes, the company that sold this 2004 Champion is no longer in business.Do you represent a business that i can hire to do this? I'm an HVAC mechanic with a brand new knee that would want to hire this out. I'm not so good with crawlspaces yet, I have been down there before, I even have a creeper down there.
Thanx
Greg

Sorry not a pro, there are a few in the area. Have you checked with Dave's down the street from you?

Greg