Exterior walls 4in or 6in?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Irishgirl

My husband and I our looking at buying a used mobile home to renovate. Singlewide if it is big enough,preferably doublewide. We do not want to purchase a MH with 4" walls.
What year did they start making 6" walls? If we found a great deal and it was 4in walls
is there anything you can do to make walls thicker? We live in Northeast and need
good protection against winter months. Thanks!
Greg

Hi & welcome. The easiest way to tell is to look at the window & door jams, If you have a 4" wide jam than the walls are 4"

HUD got involved in the Mobile home regulations in the 80's, But that does not mean that a pre HUD has 4" walls. There were some manufacturers that were exceeding HUD standards before there were standards.

Check the sticky post at the beginning of this forum section for tips when buying a preowned home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
flcruising

Irishgirl wrote:What year did they start making 6" walls?
We purchased our custom manufactured home new in '06, and only received 6" walls because we asked for them. I highly doubt there's anything in the HUD code that states 6" walls are a new standard as the International Building Code (which is what most states use or base their code off of) for site built homes doesn't require it either.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]