polybutylene

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

stillworking

Will this plumbing always, eventually fail? I have a 1983 Denmark 14x70 located in southeastern Oklahoma that I have owned since 1994. I've never yet had a water line leak. During remodel, I replaced the particle board in both bathrooms with plywood, but the remainder of the floors are still particle board. Now I need to replace carpet and kitchen vinyl. I will probably own this home another three years. Should I replace the polybutylene with PEX before installing new flooring? Thank you for your comments.
Harry

Hi stillworking,

I would replace the poly with pex but I am "notworking" anymore. LOL

It is my experience the poly pipe will not give you much of a problem if it has no kinks....the fittings cause most of the problems.

You may opt to inspect all your plumbing and take a chance and be alright. It's up to you. For sure I would make sure you have easy access 1/4 turn ball main supply shutoffs.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

Whether you replace the plumbing or not is really your call. I know not all PB plumbing has failed to date, because I have seen homes with old PB and no leaks. I think the deal is that there is a real good chance that PB plumbing will leak. I am guessing 90% or better. I don't know the actual percentage, just going by what I have seen. My findings may be skewed because with no leaks generally won't need floor repairs. If these people don't upgrade or remodel, chances are I will only see their roof. JMO

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

If I remember right most of the leaks were at the fittings due to bad crimp rings. MOST of the rings are in areas that you can keep an eye on, however if there is a splice in the wall or under the floor you will never see it before it turns into a problem. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Archie

Just my opinion but I would replace it.

Since you are going to go through all the work and costs of replacing the floor, going the extra step to do the water lines seems logical with the access the floor removal will give you. Pex is a fairly straight forward and easy install if planned out and the cost is negligible, most of it is for the crimper's which you take with you. The piece of mind however is priceless.
Experience is what you get after you need it.
Maureen

I have to agree with Archie. If you're going to that much trouble to replace the floor, replace it with Pex!

When you go to sell the place in 3 years or so, you can state that all plumbing and floors have been replaced. This is an added selling point and you can most likely, add those repairs to your selling price!

Maureen 8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'
stillworking

Thanks everyone for your replies. Guess I'll do the replacement......but I sure don't wanna, especially considering the price of plywood.