Cleaning aluminum siding

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

canman47

My mobile is almost 40 years old but the painted aluminum siding is still in great shape. The paint is still looking good but it is chalking a bit so the green trim has a white haze on it. I would like to clean it to remove the chalking but I don't want to use anything that might remove the paint too. Any one know what works? Is there any protective coating that can be sprayed on?
morganservice

I'm not a paint expert but I would say to wash it like you would a car. However a good source to ask your question might be someone like your local Sherwin-Williams. I think that the paint is supposed to chalk...so coating it might not be a good idea. Ask Sherwin about that too. Please post back after you find out .
Greg S

TSP is a good cleaner for painted surfaces. The fact is the green will not return to it's original brightness and will likely require painting in the end anyway so using the TSP is a good place to start paint prep anyway.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)