Experience moving home with added on roof

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Erik

About two years ago we put a new roof on our home, we docmented it on this forum. it was a red steel pitched roof. At the time and until recently we were very pleased with the project. The home was a 1978 14 X 70 singlewide.

This winter we decided we would trade up to a new home, lots of work needed doing on the inside of our old home, we wanted a second bathroom and more space seemed like a welcome addition. In April we ordered a new 2007 16 X 74 home with the agreement for the dealer to take our existing home on trade. They were to remove the home and install a new one in the same lot of our park.

Well our new home came in to the dealer, we scrambled to get things ready for the move which included dealing with snow on May 1st, the day they were taking the old home. When they tried to move the home they heard a snap and the frame bent in the back end and axles bent (as it was explained to us) . They had the home 1/2 on and 1/2 off the lot! Turned out they had to wait til the next day, hire a portable welder to fix and reinforce the frame and attach two more sets brackets, wheels and axles. It's surprising how many colourfully descriptive words were used!

In the end, the home did make it the 60km's back to the dealer, causing us a pile of stress, and then relief. As things turned out we did have a signed deal with the home dealer for the new home so we didn't feel the financial pain of their problems. I can only imagine how it could have been had the dealer wanted to start pointing fingers! Of course I had spoken with them two years before when installing the roof and had their approval that it would be a fine thing to do.

Bottom line: lot of roof = lot of weight = perhaps lots of problems!

Regards,

Erik & Lisa Bjornson

[img][img]http://mobilehomerepair.com/phpbb/userp ... ding_1.jpg[/img][/img]
Harry

Hi

A good reminder of what added weight can do. Glad all turned out well.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
Maureen

Hi Erik!

I remember very well, all the work that you did on that home! It did turn out beautiful!

But, as we keep preaching here, you do have to be very careful when adding a peeked roof to a flat roof. I just want to make that point very clear. Some folks may not know that aspect of the project. That's the main reason we suggest roof overs, or pole style roofs over adding trusses and full roofs. This just proves that weight really is an issue!

Glad to hear that everything worked out well for you! Enjoy the extra room to roam!

Maureen

8)
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.
'Plato'