Roof Replacement/Ceiling Sagging

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

rickyray

My father-in-law recently passed away. We are now left with what the paper work says is a 1972 Park Manor Doublewide. Don't know the first thing about mobile homes other than reading about others who have had similar circumstances on this board.

Walking down the hallway you see lots of water damage where the swamp cooler is framed in and the damage extends out visually. In the living room you see the ceiling sagging noticeable. Some ceiling panels have seperated from others and are hanging lower.

Moving to the roof, it is arch shaped. There is some exposed metal roofing. The coating appears to be asphalt with a coating of small white aggregate, but no evidence of any roofing plys. You can visibly see undulations between the high points which I assume are the trusses. This can't be good! There is evidence that several quickie repairs have been attempted with black mastic. I can see why there is leaking around the swamp cooler. It looks like junk and the workmanship around it looks questionable at best.

So does any of this sound familiar to you experts? Any suggestions? Is it worth fixing? What are our options assuming a roof replacement is required? Our thought is this would be a rental some day. We are in No. California and the winter rainy season is approaching, so any fix would likely have to wait until next spring. We have tarped the bad areas in the interum. I can provide pics the next time we go over if that would help.

Thanks for your time and responses.

Rick
Greg

Rick, Hi & welcome. Factory metal roofing is basically just rolled sheet metal laid over the top of the home and crimped on the edges.

See the "Articles" section of the site for a way to do a roof over.

Is it worth a rebuild/rehab? That is a tough call. The best advise I can give is to do a material list for EVERYTHING you think it needs. Don't forget the things you can't see like plumbing & electrical upgrades. Check the flooring & sub floors, any soft spots or water damage? Windows, if they are original, plan on replacing them with quality double hung windows.

Compare what you will have into it against what homes are going for in your area, don't forget that the home will be for all intents "New" once it is properly rebuilt.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

I talked to a customer today that is in almost the exact same situation today. We talked for well over an hour. I told them that I would give them estimates for the repairs and new roof, but it was my advice to them to sell the home as-is to anyone who would take it. Their home is a '78 with 2x3 walls. A '72 home might have 2x2 walls. They need a new roof system, trusses repaired (badly warped) and ceiling repairs/painting. Right there they are pushing the used price value of this home. This does nothing for the worn out carpet and other minor interior repairs.

Now if all of the work is done economically and DIY, it may work out as a small profit to them, but I am sure they are not looking to do any of the work.

If your roof and ceilings have a bow to them, you may need to have this fixed before re-roofing. The new roof could be a metal panel roof, the kind of panels used on steel buildings. There are general plans for this type of roof in the Books & Parts link at the top of this page.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
canman47

Most of the 70's mobiles had low pitch roofs that are too flat for metal roof panels. They will leak. There is something called standing seam panels for low pitch roofs but they are expensive and probably too heavy for your trusses. Are you saying that your trusses are bowed because they were made that way or because they are warped? I went with a vinyl roof last year with foam insulation under it. I'm happy. It's warm, quiet and leak free and was installed in half a day. I also liked the spray on foam roof. It covers all the bad spots with foam and they can build up low spots. You can really spend a lot on these things if you can't do the work yourself. I live in northern California too. I thought I would replace with something newer but the regulations and fees made it unaffordable to me so I'm still here patching up my '73 doublewide.
Greg S

I would suggest you sell as is especially if it is in a park with monthly lot fees. Even if on private land it is likely going to be a money pit and based on it's age not really worth the investment.
As far as being a rental it may not be financially worth while if in a park.

You should sell unless you are up to the challenge of doing all the work yourself. Probably a lot more than just the roof needs attention.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
rickyray

MH is not in a park and I am cosidering DIY.

Considering metal roof over per plans on this site. Not sure how to remove the existing coating with the undulations as they are. Also, there is a peak involved-I assume a ridge cap of some kind would work. Suggestions would be appreciated. Is this peak structural (connection of double-wide) or just part of the way they orignally roofed the MH? I have attached two photos. Thanks.

Rick
rickyray

Here are pictures. Had to reduce size.

Rick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JD
Site Admin

The roof plans from this web site will work fine with this roof. The batten strips would fasten to the trusses at the high spots. I am not sure if you need to remove that coating. I am sure it can be chiseled/cut off though. That middle bump is structural. It is the top of the marriage beam. There is that metal cap you see and then 2x and plywood material sandwiched together.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.