Belly repair

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

canman47

So my next project is to repair the Belly Board which was invaded by raccoons. They ripped some holes and totally flattened the insulation in 1/4 of the home. The belly board is mostly intact and I would like to leave it that way as much as possible and slide in new insulation. The coons ripped a large hole in the middle which looks like the obvious place to insert new insulation. Unless someone has a better idea I was thinking I would cut a rectangular hole in each end and using a cord pull rolled insulation to the ends. The original insulation was an unfaced blanket. I was thinking I would used kraft faced rolls because it seems like it would slide in easier and it would hold together better while I pull it. Does this make sense? Are there problems I'm not aware of using the faced insulation? I know the facing usually goes toward the living space but in my case would be reversed. As I understand it the belly board is a vapor barrier itself so it seems like I would just have a double vapor barrier. I have the older fiber board belly board and would be patching it with the newer poly material. I have done some of this repair on the edges using the high strength adhesive and it seems to work pretty good. What is good to cut the fiber board? Utility knife just tears it. Maybe with a new blade? Saber saw? Dusty! How about cutting the poly stuff? It's slippery stuff and seems to just slide between the jaws of my shears. I'll be doing a lot of patching so I want to make it as easy as possible. I've used the Stay Put adhesive and it works good but pretty expensive. When I ran out I got some 3M High Strength 90 and as far as I can tell it's the same thing but a little cheaper and more available. Anyone know if there's a difference?
JD
Site Admin

The cardboard type stuff cuts well with a fresh blade. Flip the blade or replace it every 20 LF or so, as soon as they slow down or snag. Blades are cheap. I cut the poly stuff with a good pair of fiskars scissors. I use 3M high-strength 90 sometimes and and I am pretty confident with it. Their data sheets are very similar. When checking data sheets, you can see where these adhesives are better for our purpose than other products.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.