basement addition

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

TexasJess

We are in the planning/budgeting phase of adding a basement to our single-wide (16x76) mobile home. We plan on making the basement the same size as the house (16x76) with 3 additional bedrooms/2 full baths downstairs. One of the smaller upper bedrooms would be used for the stairway. Our home seemed so big at first when we were a family of 3...we're a family of 6 now and starting to feel a bit claustrophobic. How long would this type of renovation/addition typically take to finish? Has anyone here done this type of addition? We live in south Texas were the ground does have quite a bit of rock in the soil. We're having trouble finding people to work with us. What are all of the costs we would have to factor in? Any advice suggestions, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated! We've gotten tons of feedback (both positive and negative) from family/friends.
Greg

A time frame will depend totally on how you do this. Are you planning on digging directly under the home in place or digging and moving the home over it?

In a clear area you can dig and have blocks up in a week, if you are working under the home it will go much slower.

As far as costs, don't forget you Will need windows large enough for escape in case of fire. There is a size code for them, check with your codes officer on this. you may need approved plans for this project.

I would also add an outside entrance door when you do the planning.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
TexasJess

The basement will be in the same spot as the house is now. We plan on having the house moved temporarily and placed back on top of the basement. Is that the best way or do you suggest an easier/quicker option? We're also having trouble finding people who work on manufactured housing. We thought about contacting the dealer we bought our home from, would that be the best place to start?
Greg

I think the dealer may be a good starting point, But you should also check with the building inspector for your area and get his input. It is far easier to get them involved from the start and work WITH them, rather than have an inspection and find a bunch of "problems" that need correcting. Remember, they have the final word. Most of them are easy to get along with as long as they don't get ticked off (warm cookies & milk can't hurt either).

Greg
canman47

Not to be a wet blanket here but wouldn't it be much cheaper and easier to just move in a double wide?
1987Commodore

I'd check the price of building a ground level addition against the cost of the basement. Remember to factor in the cost of moving the home twice and the space you will lose in the basement for the piers to support the home, and the added footings underneath the basement floor for the piers.
Greg S

I would agree with both of the previous posts in that a double wide or addition to the single would be far more practical. Plus the fact that living in a cellar is not particularly appealing.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
TexasJess

There isn't really room for a double wide without knocking out some trees on our land. Plus we are saving the money and paying out of pocket to avoid the finance game. We would have to worry about selling/ trading in our current home and starting up a new mortgage if we bought a double wide anyway. We're 8 years into our mortgage on this home and don't want to sign a new mortgage contract.

As for just adding an addition...I don't think that would work for us. We need 3 bedrooms, storage, and bathrooms. Additions would also require us to knock down exterior walls. I don't think we could knock down that many walls... Plus we want the added security of a basement (which we don't plan on having completely underground, so it wouldn't be like living in a cellar/cave. There would still be sunlight, etc. and a door leading to the outside) during windstorms and tornadoes.
Greg

Now that you have brought up the Tornado issue, that would be a great time to build a 10x10 "storm room" as well.

Greg
canman47

Well, anything is possible and I've seen people build things I never thought of. I just don't see how this could be financially feasible. I'm thinking the first step may be to hire an engineer to design something safe that can support the weight of the house on top of it. If you have a plan then you can approach contractors about giving you a bid. Still, I doubt you'll find many builders who have experience with this. Not a "normal" job.
TexasJess

^^^ Um... what? Not sure exactly what you're trying to say here, Stephanie. We have plans drawn up already if that's what you were trying to say...
Greg

I deleted all 5 of Stephanie's posts, all were total gibberish.

Greg