PEX to Polybutylene Coupling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

dogbone

Hello just a quick question will these make a good seal around the pex to poly fittings? http://www.amazon.com/BEST-PEX-Stainles ... 47-2685010 or should i stick with the regular copper crimp rings? just looking at patching up this leaky gray stuff for now untill spring and will do a complete replacement thank you.
Greg

I think that we have an East/West split on the issue. I prefer the crimp ring type (East) and JD prefers the Sinch type (West). I guess they both work OK so It's a personal preference you will need the installation tool for either one.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
HouseMedic

Are you just looking for the fitting? If so Mark has them here or most big box stores have them. They look like this and come with one ring for the pex side and one ring for the poly side.
http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/media/img/adapt1.jpg

Ron
dogbone

Thanks greg quess i will stick with the copper crimp rings then.Bought a apollo Multi-Head Crimp Tool from lowes yesterday and it has surface rust allover it plus one of the jaws pin is bent will have to switch for another. :evil: thanks all.
JD
Site Admin

You are taking that tool back, right?
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
dogbone

Yes JD i am going to switch for another one.This plumbing is in bad shape 1/2" from shut off to 3/4" main line too 3/8" to fixtures.Maybe that's why i have wimpy water pressure? lol i cut a small hole too look at plumbing and all the insulation is missing in the middle of the belly fabric only have it by the rim joist how could that happen? looks like i opened another can of worms.Well i have only worked with copper and cpvc before so hope this pex is easy to work with thanks again everyone.
canman47

A lot of my insulation is missing too but maybe for different reasons. Originally it looks like plumbers did some work in laundry room and bathrooms and just removed insulation because it was in the way and never replaced it. They didn't seal up the holes very well and then animals moved in-raccons, possums, rats -who knows and used the insulation for nesting material. I'm now in the process of replacing insulation in about 25% of this double wide. Never leave holes in the belly!