northeast winter freeze prevention

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

cnyguy

Hello:
I'm looking for ideas/suggestions for a permanent waterline freeze prevention issue. What I have now works, but I'm looking for a better way. The water line(copper) comes up through the concrete pad in a pvc sleeve. As it enters the crawlspace it is insulated and heat traced, takes a couple of turns and then goes up into the house. I would like to get away from the plug in trace and find a permanent freeze-free solution. If possible, of course. Anybody got any suggestions? Thank you,
cnyguy
Greg

A few ideas come to mind, how practicable they are I really can't say.

I have heard of running the waterline through an insulated flexible duct connected to the furnace duct. the warm air should keep the line from freezing. That may work as long as you heat with the furnace and not an alternate heat source.

Insulate the skirting. Mark once claimed that space under his home with insulated skirting never froze. With his brutal S. Dakota temperatures that is saying a lot.

You could combine the two, insulate & heat the space.

If I remember, you are on the south shore so you don't usually get the brutal cold like they get up north.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

You need to prevent all air movement around the line. Consider wrapping it with at least 6 inch fiberglass, over wrapped with plastic sheeting to stop the air. I don't know if that would be sufficient to get along without a heat source. Trouble is, copper is unforgiving to any freeze ups.
Blue Collar Homes

I have done several homes this way in western NY and never had a freezeup in an occupied home (if the home is unoccupied for any length of time the pipe might get a slug of ice in it). Run a section of insulated flexible duct from the pvc sleeve straight up into the heated floor space but not up against the floor. Run the pipe up through this then across inside the insulated floor space to the inlet pipe. Seal everything up good. I would also replace the copper with PEX as far down into the pvc sleeve as practical. For really old homes with inside piping I have ran the duct right up into the home.
BCH
UmpJJ

I just installed Rapid Wall insulated skirting on our 16 X 80, and we have the trailer set 48" off the ground (it's high). I have the 18' of water pipe wrapped with heat tape and foam, so I don't expect any freezing. I can't imagine the heat tape using an exorbitant amount of electricity, and it's only plugged in in the winter months, but even with insulated skirting I'll still use heat tape. I've had two freezes in the last 10 years (heat tape not plugged in and sudden cold weather) and I don't ever want to go through that again.