Patching belly board

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

canman47

I'm repairing my belly board and it's the kind that's like an asphalt fiber board. I've been using the poly belly wrap and spray adhesive. It works ok but it's tedious and expensive for the adhesive. Has anyone tried any of the self adhesive flashing tapes? Typar makes a few and one of them uses an asphalt rubber adhesive that sounds like it might work. I've used that stuff around windows and it's really sticky.
JD
Site Admin

I use Tite-Seal flashing for a lot of things. Great stuff and VERY sticky. But I found that it does not stick to raw wood very well, and I am thinking that it would not stick to the loose fibrous surface of the belly board for very long. Also, the Tite-Seal has a foil/mylar top surface which has very little tensile strength for pulling and holding.

If your tape has a stronger surface, it might work. Question is, for how long. I have seen every grade of duct tape fail within a couple of years. The asphalt/rubber sticky side may hold better if you use a heat gun and are able to apply a lot of pressure to it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.