all doors and windows leaking

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

sjp206

so i have a older mobile home i had bought and it was not taking care of at all. rotted floors and such doors have leaks from improper caulking. i fixed the floors with 3 quarter plywood, that was not hard at all. but my question is how do i fix the windows to stop leaking they are single pane and sweat like crazy, plus i think the screws holding them in are loose causing leaks and in turn the frame that holds them up warps and rots. also the doors have a leak also from who knows what i am thinking from the screws in the metal or maybe leaking through the metal somewhere who knows. how do i fix this, caulk or something like it. this trailer has not got a vapor barrier at all. just metal screwed to the wall studs and that is it. so how do i stop these problems. because i do not want to have to spend 2 grand siding this house with vinyl just to stop leaks. i am sure it is a easy fix just need advice from people more advanced at this then me. any help would be greatly appreciated from yall

p.s love the site
JD
Site Admin

Hi and welcome to the site.

1/4" screws can be replaced with slightly longer 5/16" scews (#10 x 1" or 1 1/2") Old caulking should be removed and new caulking applied. Check the seams of the metal siding.

But I have to say that most times when people tell me they have window leaks, they turn out to be roof leaks above the window.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

As JD said, Check the roof first. If you find that the windows are the problem, replace them with a quality double hung window. If you do the work yourself you can do it for $200-$300/per window depending on the window you choose. If you plan on living there for any time, change them - You will be glad you did.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
sjp206

well this is just a fixer upper and i am selling it along with a few more till i can get me a new one shouldn't take but a year or three of fixing and selling them................. anywho, how would one check to see if there is a leak in the roof above the doors. what are some signs to look for, i am still fairly new to fixing them up and i am absorbing all i can like a sponge. from what i heard though they already coated it with tar about about a year ago. i know it is the windows almost certainly as far as the doors that is what i don't know. anyways any help is appreciated and never forgot :)
JD
Site Admin

If you have an old galvanized roof with a lot of asphalt type roof mastic, you could have a major roof problem. Black mastic does not work very well on a metal roof and the elastomerics that will work won't last over mastic. Without a picture or a very good description of the leak areas, it would be hard to suggest a procedure for repair. The mastic - how many layers, how old is the newest layer, does it show cracking, is there pitted rust under the mastic, is there a flashing, awning or gutters attached to this area and anything else that would describe the problem.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
bobfather99

If possible, remove all previous repairs, then caulk around the windows and doors. If you remove/replace the screws, put a drop or two of sealer on each one to help seal everything up. I do agree with the previous posts, check the roof for leaks and work your way down until you find your problem. Good Luck!!!
Tip your bartender.....
sjp206

i don't know what type of room it is but i will take a pic tomorrow or so and post it here no problems at all. i thank yall so much and yall is a god sent to me and look forward to being part of this community. hopefully when yall see the pics it will give you a better understanding, or at least i hope so anyways.............. so thanks for the help again fellas i appreciate it.

p.s would a youtube video be better for yall maybe then a picture