upgrade mh to stick built

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

tkhooper

I have a 1995 commodore double wide 3 bedrooms and 2 baths. I'm thinking about upgrades but don't want to spend the money badly from an economic point of view. It seems best as far as equity is concerned to spend the money in making upgrades that would change the mobile home to a stick built home catagory. Do you know what that would require or where I might find that information? I'm in Campbell County, Virginia. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Your best bet would be to check with the codes officer to see if it is even possible. If it is, it may require a full foundation at minimum. Some areas do not allow the change, some do.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

Due to the costs involved with building a foundation, would you be able to increase the value of the home enough to justify "the build"?? Or would it be possible(and less expensive) to sell what you have and look for a stick-built home(perhaps a short sale/foreclosure)
Tip your bartender.....
tkhooper

I'm already on a permanent foundation. Where would I find this code person? I really know nothing about owning a home. I have always rented being in the military we moved constantly.

Now would be an awful time to sell, I would lose most of the equity I have in my place if I did that which would leave me with a larger mortgage at a new place. Not exactly what I am looking to do.
Greg

Start at the town clerk's office, they can get you in touch with the right people.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."