Replacing a door Front or Back

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Psaltee

Our doors are both 30' doors and we want to upgrade the doors for a more modern look and to add additional security. Will replacing the current doors with new 30' doors work without any major cut-outs. I believe the new doors will contain its own door frame. Taking out the old door and replacing it should be a simple diy or are there other considerations? Did I miss anything? Will installing new doors affect the electrical whether doorbells or inside light switches?

psaltee
flcruising

The key to a door replacement is matching the door frame to the rough opening (R.O.) size +3/4" or so. I replaced our back door over the summer with a pre-hung residential 32"x 80" and it required cutting the opening taller to accommodate.

Do you have pictures of the door(s) both inside and out you are considering you could show us?

Main things to consider:
- R.O size
- Finish adjacencies (inside and outside) and how to flash everything properly.
- Door swing
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

As Aaron said if you are replacing with the same size door it should go quick. But if you are upgrading from a 76" door to a full size 80" you will need to make some modifications to the opening, possibly moving any wires a little (there is usually enough wire to do it with no problem) . You should have at least a double, if not a triple top header to the fame so make sure there is enough room.

You may also be able to buy a full size 80" door, usually a better quality and cut it down to 76". Mark has written an article on it in the article section of the site.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Psaltee

Appreciate your help guys!

When I take out the old door can I install a pre-hung door in its place? I realize I might need to move or take out any electrical. Can I install the door and level it out with shims and call it good.
Also, could you share some ideas about adding security to the door -- not necessarily a dead bolt. Are there different options that can be used to secure a door? Thanks for your time. Appreciate your help.

psaltee
Greg

A pre hung will work fine as long as the height is OK.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
greekjohnson01

Home decorating is an excellent way of taking a tired looking space and transforming it into a bright, happy atmosphere. It is a terrific way to bring people up when they are feeling down.

Links removed by moderator