Sewer Connection

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

StanD

The connection between the home (abs pipe) and utility (abs pipe) is made with a piece of rubber hose and two hose clamps. Is this standard? If so, is this to allow for expansion?

It won't stay tight and has come apart once. It seems the hose was cut too short and instead of replacing the hose, I'd like to glue an abs fitting in it's place.

Which way should I go?

Thanks.
flcruising

There should be a hard connection. I would take a look under your home and make sure the support straps for the main sewage pipe are all intact and holding properly. It may be an issue that has not been fully addressed and the visible symptom is this failing connection.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Greg

If it is a short rubber connector about 6" long with clamps, It is "acceptable", usually used to cover an oops, the two pipes don't line up. If the clamps are tight and the connector is on both halves all the way you shouldn't have any problems. If it is coming apart, it was not installed correctly or there is a problem farther down the line.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
StanD

Thanks.
I'll check the hangers/supports and alignment. If all is good, I'll glue in a coupler.
Greg S

In my park all connections are made simply by having the line from the house slip fit inside the sewer line from the ground. This connection in addition to the horizontal house run allows for seasonal movement. Without this flexibility glued joints would eventually break. There needs to be at least one flexible joint if there is any seasonal movement of the home.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)