New pitched roof on 1985 MH

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markjhansen

I have 14x70,1985 mobile home with a metal roof.
This is used as a seasonal summer cottage in northern wisconsin.
The mobile home is in excelent condition except for one leak in the roof.
The living room has a cathedral type ceiling so the roof is higher in the center of the mobile home.I want to have a pitched shingled roof built on so i don't have to worry about the roof leaking during the winter and spring when i am not up there.With the current flat style roof on there now i'm sure new holes would pop up every spring and I really don't want to have to seal it all the time. My question is can my mobile home support the weight on this new roof?
I see them on other MH and need to know if they are safe and will not damage the home.
The MH is on a cement slab if that helps or makes a differance.
Thanks.
Greg S

Done properly it should hold the weight however the question you really need an answer to is what are the local building code requirements.
You will need to contact the local municipal office and discuss with the local building inspector what the regulations allow. If allowed you will then be able to find out the regulations as to how it is to be done to code.
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
Greg

The easiest way around the weight issue would be to build a free standing roof. Pole barn type roofs are self supported and can be trimmed to look like they are attached.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
wreckless

you can get light weight tiles for mobile homes these days and a lot of them have been converted in the uk directly over the existing roof and fixed to the existing homes in the uk we use Decra light weight tiles
markjhansen

Hi again,
14X70 1985 MH in Wisconsin, we will not be in it during the winter.
I received a quote for the materials to build a freestanding roof on this MH.
supplies alone total $6000.00. I almost had a heart attack! Six Grand before Labor cost.
I will have to change my plan and probally go with a E.P.D.M. Roof from "mobile home stuff inc."
Has anybody heard of, or have any comments about the company" Mobile Home Stuff Store Inc "
They are advertising a Maintenace Free White E.P.D.M. Rubber Roofing that includes 2"or 3"polystyrene insulation installed under the E.P.D.M. with the Aluminun Edge Bar for a far lower price that $6.000.00
It has a ten Year Warranty and they say that I will never have Coat this Roof.
Anybody have this Roof? or comments about doing this?
The under Roof now is sturdy and in good shape, but has a couple of leaks.
We get a good amount of snow in the winter and nobody will be in it during the winter, but it has lasted this long being seasonal so i'm guessing that if can keep the roof dry and leak free it should last for several more years.
What do you think?