Simple Repair vs. Costly Fix

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

donmorgan

What would you say is the simplest preventative repair that could be the costliest fix later? My vote is for water leaks.
wreckless

Sealant around windows
donmorgan

Yeah, that could some serious bucks in the long run.
Greg

Let's face it, water from anywhere is a homes worst enemy. Leaks from windows, doors & roofs are usually a problem that occurs over time. Regular inspections (that few of us do) go a long way in preventing those problems. Pipe bursts often happen with little or no warning.

Electrical issues in mobiles is another easy problem that when ignored can have disastrous results.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
donmorgan

Greg, your right about electrical being disastrous. I don't know how many stories I read each week about electrical fires with serious injuries and fatalities.
Mark440

On the electrical issues ... are these issues that crop up with time? ....or brought about by occupant misuse/abuse?? And, how do you detect if you have an issue??
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Greg

I was thinking of the cases where an outlet or series of outlets don't work. Rather than find & fix the problem just ignore it. If the problem is/was due to a bad connection there is a possibility of arcing, once you have a arc the possibility of a fire increases.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
donmorgan

@ Mark440, this are issues that eventually will crop up with time. However, misuse and overloading is also a problem. I get lots of questions on my website about mobile home outlets and switches. I am no big fan of the mobile home style switches and outlets that come from the factory and urge people to change them out with snap in boxes and standard devices. If you have a light that flickers occasionally or say you have a fan plugged in and the fan intermittently slows down you could be developing a connection problem at an outlet. Change them out. It costs about $2.50 per device.
donmorgan

@Greg, yes indifference can have some sometimes deadly consequences. Open flame, cigarettes and appliances seem to be the biggest cause of mobile home fires that I see.