Repair plumbing behind molded tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

RichardC

Hello! I'm new here, found it when looking for mobile home repair. If this is a duplicate post, i apologize. Looks like the first one didnt stick. My problem is that I have a molded bathtub, all one piece. The faucet is attached to the molding, which is shoulder-high (maybe elbow-high if you're taller...give or take a joint). Problem is, I really can't unscrew anything without getting to the other side of the molding, which is rock-solid. I noticed that on the outside of the home behind the panel, the siding is two pieces. All other siding is one long roof-to-skirting pieces. Am I to assume that I can access the tub by removing the outside panel? The screws are all rusted...and who came up with the screw design? Arthur Spooner? Where do you even GET screwdrivers that shape? As it stands now, I've managed to unscrew the faucet enough to cause a drastic spray when the water is turned on. So, I'm Little House on the Prarieing it by turning on the water when I need it and living out of water bottles for the little things like cooking, feeding the dog, etc. I guess I'm asking if anyone has tried this type of repair with molded tubs in a mobile home (oakwood 1981)?
1987Commodore

If your faucet is on an outside wall, then I would guess you would have to remove the exterior siding to get to it. If the siding is separated there, that is likely the access point. What type of screws do you have? I'm guessing they have a square hole? There are square bits available. The square drive screws are much less likely to strip the head than a Phillips.
Greg

Hi & welcome. Most Hardware stores have bit sets that include the odd shape bits like the 8 & square shaped, both are common in mobiles.

As Commodore said, you may end up opening up the outside wall to gain access to the faucet. When you do the work, add shutoffs that way you can just shut the faucet off and have water to the rest of the home.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."