New roof trusses

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jonathanwb1

I'm planning on putting a new metal roof on my trailer but I'm trying to figure out how to go about it. I was wondering if it is possible to put new trusses on, the ones on there now are not very strong.
Greg

There are a few possibilities. You could replace what you have now, but depending on your wall studs you may need upgrade those to support the upgraded trusses. You could build a free standing pole barn type roof with supports in the ground.

It's hard to say with out knowing what you have now and what if any weather factors (snow) to add in.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
vintage steel

The 12x60 rental I used to own had 2x4 headers running along the outside ( I think 3 high), tall enough to clear the domed roof. On top of those sat 2x4 trusses (3-12 pitch) on 2' centers. 1x6 slats ran lengthwise connecting all the trusses and tin was attached to the 1by' s
It was (is) light weight and effective. It has held up for 14 Montana winters and is still in great shape. It took two people a couple weekends to complete.
It also helps insulate, a bit.
JD
Site Admin

The existing trusses can also be repaired and reinforced. Access to the trusses will mean going through the roof or the ceiling. If your ceiling is in good condition, you can go through the roof for repairs and then install your new roof over the old. I always repair the roof openings for access before installing a new roof.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
jonathanwb1

The trailer is a 1993 Oakwood 14×70. It has 3/12 roof on it now with 1×2 framed trusses 2ft oc. The wall studs are 2×4s and floor joists are 2×6 both 16in oc