newbie with questions

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jamestansi

Hi,

I just found this site while doing a google search for what kind of hex screw to use on siding. Hoping maybe somebody could help me with a few things. I went to Lowe's and got what looked like the closest type of hex screw that is on this 1994 single wide which I just bought. Was told by somebody doing some work out here that replacing the rusty screws would prevent staining running down the side. Screws they had look to be #8 with thread running the entire length. I bought some except mine are called "self-tapping". I just noticed on the back of the package that these came in that they are for a thicker guage sheet metal then the ones already on the mobile home, which are called "Sharp". Does it matter at all? The ones I bought are zinc which from what I just read will rust in time.

One more question is when I moved in here I noticed they were trying air the place out and several deodarants and even one in the register in the ductwork. I didn't really smell anything at the time, this was late August and still warm enough not to use the heat. The past few days though I have smelled like a bad vinegar smell. I noticed this by the refrigator and also another odor coming out of some of the duct work. I crawled below the mobile home a little ways, the cinder blocks sit on a concrete slab, and removed one dead mouse which had no odor, pretty well decayed. I saw a live chipmonk crawling along the underpinning. When I got out, I saw the chipmonk leave in a gap in the underpinning by the sewer pipe. I then used some Great Stuff and plugged that hole and one other and set some glue board down there, but have caught nothing. When that chipmonk exited I noticed him run under the concrete slab. What can I do to locate this odor?

Thanks

James
cmanningjr

Self tapping screws are mainly used for attaching something to metal. They dont work too well with wood. You may find some screws for metal roofing at Lowes that wont rust so quick.

As for the odor..Good luck...Check your duct work. Remove a vent and use a digital camera to inspect it for critters or something that may have got trapped in there..
Greg

Hi & welcome, glad you found us.
As for the screws, Stainless is the way BEST way to go, but bring your wallet. The next best and much less $$ would be galvanized. Self tappers would be fine since you are only going though thin Aluminum into wood, You may want to put a dab of clear silicone on the hole before you replace the screw to seal it (not 100% necessary, but may help over time).

Foul odors can make you pull your hair out trying to find their source. See the Articles section of the site for some tips on this. The MOST important part of the critter solution is the skirting. It MUST be 100% intact with NO holes, otherwise you may as well just put a big welcome sign up they get cold too and just want a warm place to live.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."