Tub 'skirt track'

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jennafir

I read a few articles (Thanks writers!) on this site. I finally figured out what is bugging me about the tub in the guest bathroom. There is no "skirt track" on the tub. Didnt know that is what it is called until a few minutes ago, but I've been considering caulking the small gab at the bottom of the tub skirt. thoughts? Is it possible to add a "skirt track.. while the tub is in place.

My home is fairly new and I think I still have some time left on the manufaturer's warranty. Would a skirt track be covered or is it not always necessary? To me it seems like a cosmetic issue, and I would fix it myself if thats the case. But if a skirt track is important and some lazy builder left off... then I would definately call the dealer. I've already made myself a pain in their neck once, but I'm willing to do it again if it is warranted. :mrgreen:

Thanks for any help/ info / thoughts/ suggestions.
Greg

I would find out about any warranty first, here's why.

Usually the the bottom track is attached to the floor by screws from the inside. to get to it you would have to lift the tub up. To lift the tub you would need to remove the surround. To remove the surround the Faucet has to come out. You see where this is going? It sounds to me like it may have been overlooked when it was built. In some cases the front panel is also a support.

Now, if YOU have to do the job, I would get the panel as straight as possible and use a good fat bead of quality Silicone caulk to hold it in place. Make sure everything is as clean as possible so the silicone sticks.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
DaleM

Some tubs have skirt tracks and some don't. The cheapy PVC tubs should have them as the material is pretty flimsy. Greg's idea is a good one. Clean it up really well and caulk it. Another idea is to get some inside corner trim or 1/4 round that is prefinished to match something in that bathroom, either the baseboard or the tub color. Clean the area well and then put down a bead of clear silicone caulk then lay the trim right in it. Come back the next day and smooth some silicone caulk along the tub side and the floor side of the trim. That will seal the area where the tub skirt should be quite well.
JD
Site Admin

I find that tubs that are molded as one piece won't have a separate skirt track. I usually see them on garden tubs with removable skirt and tubs like Jacuzzi Espree. If the front of the tub seems flimsy, it might be good to nail a furring strip to the floor to back up the bottom lip of the skirt but generally the tub is fastened at the nail fin and just caulked at the bottom.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Norm Frechette

i have a 2007 mobile home and do not have skirt tracks in either bathrooms. master bath is a one piece shower stall and the 2nd bath is a one piece tub/shower enclosure. caulking on both of them at the junction with the floor.

master bath is similar to this one

2nd bath is similar to this one