Replacement Sliding GLass Door Type???

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

gtpvette

I have a question regarding the type of replacement sliding glass door I should be looking for as I'm not that knowledgable about stick frame construction. Based on what I'm seeing online, I want a sliding door set with some type of flange that would wrap the outside of the framing to help with keeping everything water tight? I'm not seeing these at the local big box stores though. Well at least in stock.

So are these what I want? What type of doors have you used?

Many Thanks!
Greg

There are ways to install a sliding door to prevent leaks that do not require a special bottom flange. Here is how Ron does it. http://www.ronhazelton.com/projects/how ... patio_door

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

The doors I use for replacements are vinyl doors with the "retrofit fin". Some people call it a stucco fin. The front vinyl face of the frame has a 2 1/2" exterior trim all the way around the door. These are very easy to install and are easy to seal to the siding. These are special order doors and generally won't be in home stores unless they got stuck with a bad order. But they can order them for you. Most times you will need to special order unless you are reframing the rough opening to fit a standard door off the shelf. If you go to a vinyl window store, they will probably have a display set up for you to see.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.