Questions about dryer lint under subfloors...

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Raynebowfish

HI all!
We are finally getting around to pulling up the bathroom subfloor here, all 4 kids have flooded that room more times than I can count, and the floor has gone spongy. New to this whole world of ripping out floors, been dreaming of doing this bathroom for years, and it finally got to the "we need to do this sooner than later point" :)

The middle of the trailer under the floor would appear to have about a 1/4" to maybe up to 1/2" of dryer lint. It doesn't go all the way to the outside wall, from the outside wall to where it starts is roughly 3-3.5 feet. Our dryer is flush with an interior wall...and getting that vented outside through the skirting is now on the extremely high priority list lol

My question is what do I do? I know lint is scary fire hazard, thats what we've all had drilled in our brains, I'm a bit apprehensive to continue sawing in there if I hit metal and a spark manages to land in it, I know fire and trailers are scary as hell, especially after seeing my neighbors go up last April... :( (they were all ok, my 6 and 4 yr old were over there playing with the kids who lived there when it started...needless to say, seeing smoke out the kitchen window and knowing your kids are at that house....Mini heart attack!!)
How potentially dangerous is this?
I vacuumed a bunch off the pipes and wires...not sure how to take it off the insulation, and it appears it may go further into the house than the bathroom...

Other question I had, less scary in my mind, discovered that the heating duct to the master bedroom from the bathroom is a clear plastic tube with the metal spiral wire...stuffed full with insulation. Its pink, so its not for the dryer. Is that normal?...seemed really weird to me.

Thank you all in advance!
Greg

My advise to you would be to get the drier properly vented. That should be a fairly quick job, A couple of hours should do the job.

Continue on the floor and vacuum up as much as possible. I would doubt that just a spark would set it off, but you can always have a Fire extinguisher close by. If you have any doubts, wait a while after you cut before setting in the new subfloor.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
bobfather99

When you setup your dryer venting, dont get too crazy with bends in the tubing. Easiest way is to go down through the subfloor, 90 degree bend, then out through the skirting. Makes it easier to clean out if/when you need to vacuum it out. Dont forget a dryer vent cap on the outside end so animals dont "visit" you.
Tip your bartender.....
Raynebowfish

Thanks guys :)
We went ahead with it, and the flooring got laid last night around 1am...DIdn't wanna sleep on the living room floor again. Our 2 and 3 yr old like to wake up at the crack of dawn and come to our room, and the hall was missing floor as well, so we had to get it covered....They slept through the circular saw being used in the living room, so I am happy about that :)

I did vacuum up all that I could, looked a lot better. I ended up falling through the floor though lol
Wasn't paying attention, and the plank I stepped on snapped in half and down I went! I'm okay, other than a non bleeding scratch and a good sized bruise. Happy it was me and not my fiancee, he's got giant feet and had shoes on, I was bopping around barefoot. My heel went through the belly. I read that flexmend was the repair tape of choice with that. We'll be crawling under there sooner than later to get the dryer vented, so its all good :)

I have been hunting down ideas on how to get the pipe out of the house, we definitely want to do that. It was able to at one point! My cat showed me that by getting under the trailer...3 times...and then both cats were locked in a bedroom for the last day and a half. I wasn't gonna go save the cat every 10mins.Didn't want to risk them staying outside for long either. We've lost too many cats in this neighborhood, not sure to what or who...but something ain't right when a momma cat disappears when her babies are only 4 weeks old, and the other cat going missing 2 weeks later... Sorry for the rambling, its a habit of mine :)
Greg

You're not rambling. Like Bob said, the vent is fairly easy. Just keep it short and as few bends as possible. Our's has 1 90* elbow and out the side wall, about 30" long.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Raynebowfish

Our dryer is on an interior wall, but using one bend isnt going to be a problem.
I'm more thinking of ways to keep it up off the ground. I just measured where the dryer back is to wall is, and that's about 5.5 feet, roughly 6 when you add in the exterior wall. Is there any good way to to hold the pipe up?
And I always feel like I'm rambling when I'm posting to forums...lol
bobfather99

You can use flexible "plumbing straps" to hold up your vent pipe. Wrap it around the venting somewhat loosely, then run the other end of the strap to something sturdy underneath, then nail/screw the end up at the angle you need.
Tip your bartender.....