Roof Question

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

VCFD

Hello All! Thanks to your suggestions and comments, I've decided to go with a metal roof. I need to order it tomorrow but I have a question I hope someone can answer. I am ordering the panels to size so I need to be accurate with the legnth measurements. I am planning on adding a ridge vent so I removed some of the ridge shingles so I could measure from the absolute peak to the drip edge. What I found was that there already was a 3" gap beween the sheathing at the peak. However, the sheathing on both sides looks like they are supported by 2x4's. My question is, do these 2x4's run the entire length of the ridge? The 2x4's actually reduce the gap to about 2 vent or inches. Is this enough of a gap for the ridge vent or should I/could I open the gap more?
Whatever It Takes
JD
Site Admin

What you may be looking at is the marriage beams. Typically, there will be 1/2" plywood and a 2x10 or 12 at the ridge area of each half of a mobile home. This is the area where the lag bolts go to draw the two halves of the home together, forming the ridge. You would not want to modify these at all. There are specially made vented metal ridge caps that should be used. You would need to cut the sheathing back below the marriage beams to open up an opening for the ridge vent. The span between the trusses, where the cut is made, will need to be supported. I have seen metal vented ridge caps made specifically for this use for metal roofs. I will try to find the product again, but right now I am calling it a night. You might try a search on vented metal ridge cap.

You may have told us before, but does your home have flat ceilings or cathedral ceilings? When you talked to the building department about using metal panels for your roof, did you mention that you have a 2.5/12 roof? Some type of supported overhang would be ideal. If not, you will need to be sure to have a way to stop melting water from channeling back to the top of the wall. Be sure to have exact details of how you plan to install this roof when talking to the building dept. They can save you a lot of grief later.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
VCFD

Thanks for the response JD. I'll make sure I stay away from those marriage beams. The house does have vaulted ceilings. Oh, by the way, I did do a proper measurement of the roof slope and it is 3:12

I am ordering the rolled ridge material and metal ridge cap as well. Decided to go with 26 gauge panels and put the Ice and water shield over the entire roof . It costs a bit more but I think it just makes more sense.

I'm buying the materials from a company in upstate NY (they have locations all over the country). Their website is;
www.mbci.com

I stopped in and their sales manager spent close to 2 hours going over everything with me. I liked the idea that they were so helpful and they are setting me up with the whole roof system. I'm pretty confident that I've done the research so now I just need to make it happen.
Whatever It Takes
JD
Site Admin

Sounds like you are ready to me. Enjoy your project and please share some pictures with the forum.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
VCFD

Thanks for your help JD! I'll be sure to post some pictures.
Whatever It Takes